There are many things you can do as an individual to help save our environment. However, the fight for the environment is not a singular battle, it needs the combined efforts of many others. So share the tips with family and friends.
1. Be water wise
- Landscape with waterwise indigenous plants
- Reduce lawn to a minimum – use indigenous groundcovers
- Save rainwater, invest in a rain water tank
- Avoid buying water in disposable bottles. Fill your own bottles and carry with you
- filter tap water, or let water stand before drinking it so chlorine can evaporate
- Get a low flow shower head to reduce water volume and energy usage
2. Reduce Waste
- Avoid consumable products packaged in plastics
- Avoid products with excess packaging
- The less goods we demand, the less impact on our resources
- Whenever you want to buy something ask yourself; do I really NEED this thing?
3. Reuse and recycle
- Re-use shopping bags
- Recycle everything
4. Power down
- Reduce your energy usage
- Stop wasteful electricity and fuel usage; switch off all bulbs when not use
- Unplug electrical apliances when not in use
- Fly less, drive less. Working from home or a nearby place may also help reduce your energy demand
5. Eat healthy- mostly locally grown food
- Look for local organic or homemade sources of food
- Eat produce that’s in season
- Anything else has required lots of energy to reach you.
- Start a veggie garden to supplement your meals with the healthiest, safest, freshest produce, or start a community growing scheme with friends/neighbours.
- Reduce meat consumption, avoid processed food
- Eat at least half your food raw. Cooking kills enzymes and proteins
6. Build Community
- Our strength and resilience will come from a strong community that takes responsibility for our own needs. We need your input.